Applying to Dulwich International High School Suzhou
Dulwich International High School Suzhou opened in 2012 and moved to a new purpose-built campus in 2015, which it shares with its sister school, Dulwich College Suzhou. Dulwich International High school is a co-educational day and boarding school for Chinese and international students aged 14 to 19, and about 75% of our students board. We also offer special preparation classes to prospective students.
Our school is academically selective and provides three or four year university preparatory courses leading to the IGCSE and A-Level examinations.
Our students achieve excellent results and gain entry to some of the world's most prestigious universities including Cambridge, Oxford and other Russell Group universities in the UK, Ivy League universities in the US, and leading institutions in Canada and around the world.
The primary language of instruction is English and our students become fluent and confident communicators with many opportunities to develop their public speaking skills.
Our co-curricular programme offers our students a rich and varied range of activities to develop their interests and skills outside the classroom. Leading universities accept students who have more to offer than academic success.
The close collaboration among Dulwich College International schools, and with our founding school, Dulwich College, gives our students unique opportunities to participate in group-wide events, benefit from the group's relationships with leading educational and artistic organisations, and be part of a growing international alumni network.
Please download our prospectus for further information.
The online applications will be open soon. The new academic year begins in late August and we accept a small amount of transfer students now.
All candidates need to pass an International Curriculum Suitability Assessment organised by the school. Applicants are tested in English and Mathematics. We especially welcome students who are academically gifted，ambitious, hard-working and well-motivated.
If you have any questions about the application process, please download our Admissions Booklet for further information or contact our Admissions team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +86 0512 67875003 / 67875023.
Please review the detailed assessment information as following：
Dulwich International High School Suzhou's IGCSE International Curriculum Suitability Assessment Information – 2021
The IGCSE International curriculum suitability assessment is designed as a comprehensive assessment of students' ability to access our curriculum and succeed in our school. Due to the way the assessment is scheduled, students possibly may not sit the assessment in the order listed in this document. One week before the assessment, each candidate will be informed of the order in which they will sit the assessment.
The Assessment will comprise
A. English Computer Based Assessment – 60 minutes
B. Writing Assessment – 30 minutes
C. Mathematics Assessment – 60 minutes
Students will be provided with a pen, pencil and eraser.
DHSZ has a zero-tolerance policy of academic dishonesty – Students discovered with unauthorized materials or cheating in any way will be disqualified from the entire assessment and not be permitted to sit a further admissions assessment during that academic year.
Following the assessment, some students may be invited for further assessment or interviews.
Please refer to the above Study Guide for assessment sample.
1.1 Eligible：14-year-old students, nationwide, no nationality or Hukou restriction.
1.2 Please apply on our school website or WeChat.
1.3 Assessment fee:
Students need to apply in advance and pay the 600RMB assessment fee and 600RMB reassessment fee online
1.4 Rules for changing your assessment date:
If you want to change the date of your assessment, please email our admissions office at least 10 working days before the assessment date. After the deadline, our school will not accept any date change. Each student only has one chance to change the assessment date.
1.5 Rules for Obtaining Refunds for Application Fees:
If students successfully apply for the International curriculum suitability assessment or reassessment, we will not accept any requests for a refund.
2.1 After registration, our online application system will automatically send a confirmation letter with assessment information to the registered email account. E.g.IG2020010001
2.2 The admissions office will inform students of the specific time of their assessment via email one week before the assessment date.
2.3 Please bring the assessment information on assessment day. We will not allow any students to enter if they are more than 15 minutes late.
2.4 Assessment results will be announced within five working days after the assessment.
IGCSEs are the leading international qualification for students aged 14 to 16 years old. The programme lasts one or two years, depending upon the qualifications of the student.
Compulsory subjects in the two-year IGCSE course are Mathematics, English, Science (Physics, Chemistry and Biology) and Chinese. Students can choose two electives from Art, Geography, Music, Economics, Computer Science and Spanish.
Compulsory subjects in the one-year IGCSE course are Mathematics, English, Chemistry, Physics and Economics. There are no elective courses. The pace of the one-year programme is fast. Students only have from admission until May to prepare for their global IGCSE examinations, and there is limited time for co-curricular activities.
Students must have very strong ability in English, Physics, and Chemistry to embark on the one-year programme, and not everyone is eligible. We assign the students to the programmes based on their entrance exam scores. Students in the one-year programme can change to the two-year programme, but not vice versa.
Please refer to our Admissions Booklet for fee information.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are a number of questions that families often ask members of our admissions team.
What qualifications do your teachers have?
We provide expert tuition and are uncompromising in our commitment to academic excellence. We have a multicultural international team of teachers who are carefully selected for their skills, professional knowledge and experience. All our teachers have degrees and teaching qualifications and have graduated from good universities around the world. Many of our teachers hold postgraduate qualifications in their subject specialisms.
Our teachers offer our students excellent subject knowledge, enthusiasm and approachability. They play a key role in helping our students to make a smooth transition into an English language-learning environment. English is the language of instruction and we encourage all our students to speak English, both inside and outside the classroom.
Our teachers also help their students to adapt to a challenging curriculum that promotes active participation and discussion, higher order critical thinking, creative problem solving, teamwork, and self-directed research. Good independent study skills are vital to academic success and our teachers help our students to develop and maintain positive study habits.
1、Registration and Due Dates for International Curriculum Suitability Assessment:
Date Assessment Registration Deadline
1) International Curriculum Suitability Assessment on February 22, 2020 has been postponed. For the students who have signed up for this assessment, the assessment time will be adjusted to April 18, 2020. In case of special circumstances, the assessment time may also be adjusted to June 21. Please open the following link to submit the application before 17:00 on March 2 : http://dchigh-suzhou.mikecrm.com/5ue4syk. If there's any change to the 3/21 assessment, we'll contact you immediately after the school opens
2）Each student may choose to register for only one assessment
3) Students attending the last assessment on 21st June, 2020, still have a chance for reassessment, with a specific date to be announced!
Dates for Reassessment:
Date Assessment Notice
2020/04/18 (Saturday) Students that don't pass the first assessment, will only have one chance to attend a reassessment
The 3rd Reassessment Date is TBD
Students who need to attend a reassessment, Admissions will send a separate reassessment link to apply, please check email in time.
* Parents meeting (one of the parents is required to attend):
1. On the day of an International Curriculum Suitability Assessment, our school will arrange a meeting with the parents of the students, at least one of the parents of each student is required to attend.
2. Parents of students who attend reassessment do not need to attend parents meeting repeatedly.
2. What needs to be prepared for the assessment?
Please click the tab above for study guide.
3. Assessment Notes
3.1 Subjects for assessment: Year 9 or Year 10 students
3.2 Warm reminder, please read carefully before signing up:
- The application fee for International Curriculum Suitability Assessment is 600RMB
- If you wish to change the assessment date, please inform our Admissions by email within 10 working days prior to the assessment date. Any changes later than that will not be accepted. Each student has only one chance to change the assessment date.
- Once registered, our school does not issue refunds for the assessment.
- Please apply through the school website or the official WeChat, or scan the QR code below
Our school admissions is based on a comprehensive, broad, and rigorous appraisal system. Students will need to achieve the set standard in each criteria of the test and admissions process to successfully achieve entry into the school. The school will not release information on students' performance in the entrance exams; instead, students will only be told if they were successful in meeting the entrance requirements; if they were unsuccessful; or if they need to take a re-sit test.
The average enrolment rate is between 30% and 35%, but this changes from test to test. In 2020, the school plans to recruit approximately 220 students, with the vast majority of those students going into the four-year programme. All of the entrance tests adopt a preferential admission, so if you take part in a later exam, there is a chance that there will be no available spaces. After each test, students and their families will be notified of the results by email within five working days. If a student is successful and a place offered, then payment must be made by the deadline in order to guarantee their space; the payment deadline is usually within one month of the offer being made, except for the last entry exam.
What curriculum and subjects do you offer?
* IGCSE (International General Certificate of Secondary Education): one year program (IG1) or two year program (Y10 and Y11). There are more than 100 countries around the world that provide the Cambridge International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE). Education institutions and employers from many countries regard this certificate highly because of the high level academic ability it represents.
The International General Certificate of Secondary Education program encourages student-centered teaching and question-learning, places emphasis on developing students’ creative thinking and problem-solving skills, and prepare students for A Level and universities’ study.
* A Level Cambridge Advanced International Certificate Course: Two years (AS and A2) Mathematics and English are compulsory. Students then select three subjects from Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Art, Music, Geography, Economics, Computer Science and Psychology. The A Level is widely recognized and valued by universities and companies around the world. Some US universities award students who get a high score in their A Level examinations up to a year's credit for that course in recognition of the academic rigour of the qualifications.
Do you have a school uniform?
Yes, and we require our students to wear their uniform with pride and respect; this means wearing the correct and full school uniform during the school day. Students are in breach of school rules when they are not wearing the correct uniform. You may borrow temporary uniform items from the Parent Liaisons – you are responsible for washing these, and must pay replacement or repair costs if lost or damaged.